November 19, 2008

Surgery Day

Well, the much anticipated, and yet dreaded, day has arrived. After a little sleep, we left the house about 5:15 to arrive at the hospital by 6:00. We are at the Harris Methodist Southlake Center, which specializes in surgery. We met with all the doctors involved, filled out the remaining paperwork, and put on the stylish hospital gown, which meant the pink Helen was wearing had to be removed :(

My brother Joel and his wife Sally showed up at the hospital much earlier than I had anticipated. They were able to see Helen and join in a prayer to guide the surgeons hands. It was very nice to see them!

Right on time, Helen was given the preliminary anesthetic and wheeled back to the operating room. I am waiting in the family waiting area for Dr. Brian (the breast surgeon) to come out with an update. It should take a couple of hours before I hear from her. Then the plastic surgeon, Dr. Heistein, will get started. His part should take about 3 to 4 hours.

I got a call a few minutes after Helen was taken into the operating room. It was Emily's bus driver calling to say she had found Emily's phone. What a relief! Small things that just seem to go your way when all around you is chaos - coincidence? I prefer to believe that God was working for us and allowing the small worries to be taken care of so we can focus on taking care of Helen. Trust in the Lord! I will post again when I hear from the surgeons. Thank you for your prayers - they are working!

No comments:

Post a Comment